Adams Township, named for
President John Quincy Adams, was created in
1854 from the western part of Middlesex
Township and the eastern part of Cranberry
Township, two of the original Butler County
Townships established in 1804. Butler County
had only been formed in 1800 and the earliest
settlements in Adams had occurred in 1796,
responding to the passage by Congress of the
Depreciation Lands Act of 1783, which
authorized land grants to Revolutionary War
Veterans. All of southern Butler County was
within the Depreciation Lands Area.
The best Christmas gift for a Veteran is a brick in the Adams War Memorial. Forms are located in the Adams Township Building.